Friday, September 24, 2010

Hawaii Five-0

I posted in an earlier blog that Hawaii Five-0 was such a classic and iconic TV show that it should never be remade.  Well, I was wrong.
The pilot episode of Hawaii Five-0 started off with a bang and continued to deliver not only action, but humor and interesting character development.  The chemistry and interaction between the characters for a first time premiere was nothing short of amazing.


Don't take my word for it.  Let's go to the video tape.

I decided to record the show on my DVR primarily just to hear that classic theme song again, but I got much more than I bargained for. I really don't remember the original show all that well. But I felt this new modern version of the show captured the true essence of what Hawaii Five-0 should be.

The series stars Alex O'Loughlin as Detective Steve McGarrett, Scott Caan as Detective Danny Williams, better known as "Danno", Daniel Dae Kim as Detective Chin Ho Kelly and Grace Park as Kona Kalakaua.  


A special shout out goes to Jean Smart who plays the Governor of Hawaii. It's good to see her in another position of power, other than the pill-popping First Lady on 24.

One change that was made, and perhaps for the better, when Alex O'Loughlin is introduced as Steve McGarrett during the opening theme, he doesn't make nearly as dramatic a turn as Jack Lord did in the original show.

It was an unexpected pleasure to watch Hawaii Five-0. I will definitely continue to record it and watch it faithfully.  I'm giving the pilot 5 out of 5 fingers. I hope the rest of series will live up to this first episode.

1 comment: