Monday, July 12, 2010

Predators


I went to check out Predators over the weekend and I was all set to come back and write a rave review.  After all, this movie had to be better than the Alien vs. Predator sequels—and it was. The only problem is I fell asleep half way through the movie, which is never a good sign.  It starts out great, with adrenaline rushing action. The main character plummets from the sky (although reminiscent of the Wolverine video game) and lands awkwardly and painfully in the jungle after his parachute almost fails to open. 

If you don't know what the movie is about, it's about 7 soldier, murderer, mercenary, criminal types who are captured (all they remember is a flash of white light) and left stranded on a planet and hunted by a trio of Predators.

When the movie started, for all we knew, the captives could have been dropped off into any jungle on Earth. Too slowly but surely it's revealed this is anything but Earth.  As the movie progressed I couldn't help fight the feeling of been-there-done-that. True to form in most Hollywood survivor movies, whenever a black man is part of the group, he is almost certainly going to die. The only twist here is that he doesn’t die first.

Mahershalalhashbaz Ali as Mombasa

Fighting through fatigue and being awakened by my own snoring, I came away from this movie feeling pretty neutral and strangely well-rested.  Certainly it was better than the previous sequels, but I think this movie might work better as a DVD rental for most. Out of 5 fingers, I'd give it a 3.

1 comment:

  1. I also so had the same feeling of being there before. They seemed using some of the same situational shots that were used in the first movie. I guess to give the same feeling of suspense.

    I didn't fallasleep but I agree with your score, maybe I should had taken a nap.

    Hollywood is trying to fight piracy with government. I got a better suggestion why doesn't the government investigate the theft from the movie companies for all these bad movies out so far this summer.

    ReplyDelete